This gin based cocktail highlights the natural harmony between fruit and herb by pairing sweet white peaches with bright basil. A homemade peach simple syrup delivers pure concentrated flavor, while dry Sherry adds an intriguing wine dimension. The following are the ingredients and instructions for shaking up this summery gin peach basil smash at home.
Gin Basil Peach Smash
- 2 ounces London dry gin
- 1 ounce fino Sherry
- 1⁄2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄4 ounce white peach simple syrup
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 white peach slice
- Mint sprig for garnish
For Peach Simple Syrup:
- 1 white peach, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
Bring water and sugar to a boil, add peach chunks, remove from heat, and steep 30 minutes. Fine strain.
- In a cocktail shaker, gently muddle the basil leaves and white peach slice. Be careful not to over-muddle.
- Add the gin, Sherry, lemon juice, and peach simple syrup. Fill shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds until thoroughly chilled and diluted.
- Double strain into a chilled coupe glass to remove any solids.
- Garnish with a mint sprig through a sliced white peach half moon.
The result is a gorgeous pale yellow cocktail with dynamic flavors. The sweet peach and herbal basil mingle with the gin's juniper notes and Sherry's nutty, wine accents. Sip this smash on the porch during sunset or before a summer dinner party. For an extra dash of color and flavor, add a few drops of violet or lavender flower syrup. Play with different herb variations like lemon thyme or even cilantro. Just be sure to use fresh ripe peaches and herb at their peak of flavor. This gin peach basil smash is summer in a glass!
As always I am open to hear your take and your input. You can reach me at [email protected]